Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 12-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

lalatan/thinkbig, congratulations on the 5x5 trophy (again). Sorry about the 4x4, but for points/word, we know the loopholes & the risks. Don't let it get you down!

If you sit out January in the points/word competition, that would be weird. Then again, you didn't have me on your tail (as 005) last month. I'm back this month, and it's been a good start. I have 5 words so far (two of them new for the board) and an average of 39+. I don't expect that to last though. It's just been a lucky day.

It's really too bad they don't have a "number of records" competition. I think you'd win hands down. Some goals though I guess are more for personal satisfaction.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
lalatan/thinkbig, congratulations on the 5x5 trophy (again). Sorry about the 4x4, but for points/word, we know the loopholes & the risks. Don't let it get you down!
It's really too bad they don't have a "number of records" competition. I think you'd win hands down. Some goals though I guess are more for personal satisfaction.
Thanks a lot Spike! I tried to keep up standards while you were gone and not just coast.
I don't really mind exiting 4x4 competition. I was losing my zeal for it and I found I wasn't keeping current with the big words found anymore. I was doing it to keep the streak alive but now the pressure for that is off. It gives me more time to do the stuff I really like.
Thanks for the number of records compliment. True, it is personally satisfying for me and also a challenge. Sometimes I think, "You could have way more records playing 4x4 because it takes 2/3 the time to set them." haha But I like doing it in 5x5 much more.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Thanks for the number of records compliment. True, it is personally satisfying for me and also a challenge. Sometimes I think, "You could have way more records playing 4x4 because it takes 2/3 the time to set them." haha But I like doing it in 5x5 much more.
Maybe I'm getting lazy, but I find myself quitting a lot of 5x5 boards early if I don't see anything promising. I'm sure I miss some big words that way, but I get a lot more games in, and I kind of trust my instincts there. (Of course if I KNOW there's a long word, I'll keep looking, but I usually see those early or not at all.)
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
Maybe I'm getting lazy, but I find myself quitting a lot of 5x5 boards early if I don't see anything promising. I'm sure I miss some big words that way, but I get a lot more games in, and I kind of trust my instincts there. (Of course if I KNOW there's a long word, I'll keep looking, but I usually see those early or not at all.)
Hahaa, I guess I'm getting lazy too. As lalatan, if I find a word worth 26-34 points on a board, I find that I'm submitting the game early because I don't really want to search for 6-8 pt words after that.
Your instincts are probably correct since you've been doing the big word hunt so long. It's probably a better use of your available time.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, lalatan/thinkbig! Likewise to Spike, Dasan, and translatorBJ -- you 3 were running neck and neck for 2nd place.

I'm really happy with my 5th place finish with 26.677 av. pts/wd, but I really pushed my limits. I couldn't consistently find words with more than 24-26 points, even when I knew they had been found before. As a result, I passed up or DNF'd a lot of boards.

So I'm going to relax this month and just try to find the best I can with each board. I'm looking forward to lowering my WordTwist stress levels.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 AM

mcdonna, thanks & congratulations yourself. (As noted somewhere before, not that long ago that score would qualify for 1st place.) Going for longer words can be a little stressful sometimes (I enjoyed my month off as 005), so do what you need to to keep it fun.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Congratulations, lalatan/thinkbig! Likewise to Spike, Dasan, and translatorBJ -- you 3 were running neck and neck for 2nd place.

I'm really happy with my 5th place finish with 26.677 av. pts/wd, but I really pushed my limits. I couldn't consistently find words with more than 24-26 points, even when I knew they had been found before. As a result, I passed up or DNF'd a lot of boards.

So I'm going to relax this month and just try to find the best I can with each board. I'm looking forward to lowering my WordTwist stress levels.
Thanks mcdonna!
Congrats on your 5th place finish. Well done! You stayed the course well. I understand completely about the stress. That's probably the last thing any of us need.
Happy and stress-free boggling to you.

Edit: You know what? I just decided I'm going to skip competing for the 5x5 avg pts/word trophy this month and just relax like you. It's going to be a busy month for me. I have to plan and stage a party celebrating my wife's half century of existence as well as the usual Christmas hubbub of activities.
It's all on you now Spike.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-02-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Keeps Trying

Thanks, guys!

Go, Spike, go!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Keeps Trying

Well, I quickly got tired of typing 5-point words!

So I'm picking boards with at least some words with 9+ letters.

Compromise.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

thinkbig & mcdonna, this sounds like it will be a weird month without you two in the running for average points/word. I kind of enjoyed getting a few 1st place trophies before thinkbig came along, then enjoyed the competition even more (even if that meant second or lower). Without thinkbig, at least for this month, I may have to reconsider my goals too. However, that's next month. I'm off to a fairly good start (as 005), so I'll do my best there. 007 isn't doing that well (yet), but he's more fun to play.