Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussDNails View Post
Just discovered a "-nesses" word which I believe no one has found yet: undrinkablenesses.............seriously, how do you use this in a sentence???????
There's drinkable -- water, good scotch, fine beer. All are quite drinkable. If you try to determine what are the qualities of a good drink, you are researching drinkableness. Now, some of those things are drinkable because they quench thirst -- water might well be best. Some might be best because they taste so good -- Hacker Pschorr Weiss. Some might be best because because they leave such a pleasant aftertaste -- fruit juices. Each of these has one of the kinds of drinkablenesses, and I suspect there are many more -- just as there ought to be undrinkablenesses, as well. Perhaps those would be called unimbibabilities, though, or even unpotablenesses. De gustibus non disputandum est!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
There's drinkable -- water, good scotch, fine beer. All are quite drinkable. If you try to determine what are the qualities of a good drink, you are researching drinkableness. Now, some of those things are drinkable because they quench thirst -- water might well be best. Some might be best because they taste so good -- Hacker Pschorr Weiss. Some might be best because because they leave such a pleasant aftertaste -- fruit juices. Each of these has one of the kinds of drinkablenesses, and I suspect there are many more -- just as there ought to be undrinkablenesses, as well. Perhaps those would be called unimbibabilities, though, or even unpotablenesses. De gustibus non disputandum est!
Good job! I'll buy that. Now how many kinds of undrinkablenesses does my pineapple-liver-gin cocktail have?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Good job! I'll buy that. Now how many kinds of undrinkablenesses does my pineapple-liver-gin cocktail have?
Counted the ordinary way, many people would say "two", figuring that any of the three by themselves might be okay (remember my quote about taste!), but there are actually more. There's the liver-gin and liver-pineapple and the pineapple-liver-gin. To make your drink have added undrinkablenesses, you'd need another ingredient. I suggest dishwashing liquid, or perhaps bleach. You might even add a nice little skim of well-used motor oil, too. Add all three for a total of six ingredients and the undrinkablenesses might total 53, though I counted the combinations mentally and subtracted those that might actually be imbibable and may have miscounted.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:13 PM

flops has received several accolades

bwt just blew my tiny, and yes....because it's past wine o'clock here..slightly tipsy mind....we are tipsy enough to consider making this cocktail (minus the bleach) and intend to start counting.....but are not sure how far we will get...
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

SALTLY, which I accidentally typed when trying to type SALTY.

Apparently it has the same meaning as "saltily."