Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 PM

flops is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been rather a prominent work in 4 year old kindergarten too!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

BEDUCK!

(To duck or immerse thoroughly; submerge.)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:58 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

HONEYLESS?!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
HONEYLESS?!
Winnie the Pooh's worst nightmare.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:12 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I uncovered another weird consonant blend: PHTHALATE n. A salt of phthalic acid. I didn't play it but saw it in a word list. At first I thought you wouldn't be able to use the word in polite conversation due to the risk of spraying saliva. However, the ph is silent.

One of the pleasantries of this game is that if you can't find a decent scoring word you can always try making one up. And it could well be valid.
example: I saw graphs but couldn't find anything to pair with it. At first I thought I spotted spectro- but nope it turned out to be flecto-. Saw re- at its beginning, put it all together and presto: REFLECTOGRAPHY for 26 pts and 2 new records. I thought maybe it was a a branch of landscape photography but instead it was the domain of art historians: Noun. An infrared technique used by art historians to detect layers beneath the top surface of a painting and thus determine whether it is an original.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-27-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:36 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a chemistry set as a kid (the kind that's probably outlawed these days). Anyway, it had a chemical called phenolphthalein. (Basically, a liquid litmus paper, to indicate acid or alkali.) Of course, there's also naphtha. I may have seen naphtha (or naphthalene) or something here, but never phenolphthalein. Of course, that's not a letter combination I'd normally look for (or even see if it was there).

I managed to get RECHROMATOGRAPHY today. I was surprised that worked with the RE-. I haven't looked that up. Anyway, you work with what you have. Today, I had a board with -LOGY in it, and the best "word" I came up with was LACTOFEMINOLOGY. Strangely enough, it didn't work. (It sounded weirdly plausible to me at the time.) I didn't end up with anything good there.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I uncovered another weird consonant blend: PHTHALATE n. A salt of phthalic acid. I didn't play it but saw it in a word list. At first I thought you wouldn't be able to use the word in polite conversation due to the risk of spraying saliva. However, the ph is silent.
I recently took up watercolors and acquired a set that includes phthalo blue and phthalo green. Just looked them up and they're pigments that come from phthalocyanine dyes. So there's another avenue to pursue.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I had a chemistry set as a kid (the kind that's probably outlawed these days).

I managed to get RECHROMATOGRAPHY today. I was surprised that worked with the RE-. I haven't looked that up.
When I was a kid my friend had 1 of those sets and we spent many an hour concocting who knows what in his basement. His dad worked in a petrochemical lab so we also had access to lots of yellow and blue sulfur. One day we put together a liquid that contained sulfur and instant coffee. It turned brown and then started to foam like crazy and overflowed the measuring cup. We had no sink there but did have the presence of mind to put it on the floor drain. We didn't pour it out since, like any good scientists, we wanted to see the final outcome. It foamed until the cup was empty, probably our most successful experiment. lol, at least we didn't gas ourselves or blow up anything.

That was a good find. Today I found SPIRITUALIZED and then tried RESPIRITUALIZED. 31 pts and 2 new records. I tacked on de- for DESPIRITUALIZED and got the same score.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I recently took up watercolors and acquired a set that includes phthalo blue and phthalo green. Just looked them up and they're pigments that come from phthalocyanine dyes. So there's another avenue to pursue.
That's interesting. I probably wouldn't recall such words when and if the time came to retrieve them. My brain is already to cluttered so I have to stick to forgetting bizarre words and remembering fairly normal words to play this game.
So you're probably going to paint the beautiful scenery in Oregon? In '91 we vacationed there, driving through Portland and to the coast from there. We drove and camped on the coastal highway from Lincoln City to Crescent City, CA and back again. The beaches there are beautiful. I loved the look of the offshore monoliths. (It was the first time I experienced tides. I thought it was crazy they rose and fell 13 ft. Then when I moved here I discovered high tide reach 15.7 ft.) Was one of my fave vacations for sure. Some day I'd like to come back and do it again.
btw, it's nice to see your avg still climbing.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-27-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
When I was a kid my friend had 1 of those sets and we spent many an hour concocting who knows what in his basement. His dad worked in a petrochemical lab so we also had access to lots of yellow and blue sulfur. One day we put together a liquid that contained sulfur and instant coffee. It turned brown and then started to foam like crazy and overflowed the measuring cup. We had no sink there but did have the presence of mind to put it on the floor drain. We didn't pour it out since, like any good scientists, we wanted to see the final outcome. It foamed until the cup was empty, probably our most successful experiment. lol, at least we didn't gas ourselves or blow up anything.

That was a good find. Today I found SPIRITUALIZED and then tried RESPIRITUALIZED. 31 pts and 2 new records. I tacked on de- for DESPIRITUALIZED and got the same score.
Thanks, and congratulations on the RE- and DESPIRITUALIZED. (I like how the spell-checker here doesn't like these words.) Whenever I see -SPIRIT-, I look to see what can go along with it.

Those chemistry sets did have their "experiments" in a book, but after running out of those, we'd just try mixing things at random. We did get some interesting foams, but we never tried instant coffee. That sounds like fun. I'm actually surprised that they didn't have an experiment to mix ammonia & bleach & gas ourselves, although I assume that if we'd known enough (or experimented enough), we probably could have killed ourselves a few times over. My dad was fairly trusting of me (probably partly because he was deaf & couldn't hear explosions or screams), and he'd buy me potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) and hydrochloric acid (strong enough so that you could see the fumes coming out as you opened the bottle). I still have all my fingers and no acid/chemical burns, so maybe his trust wasn't entirely misplaced. (This probably doesn't speak well for me as a kid, but I built a little gas chamber powered by the acid fumes and tried it on cockroaches. They were fine, by the way.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-27-2017 at 08:48 AM.