Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness
Default Changing objectives

I was just wondering, do you all go for the same goal every month? Or do you change your objectives, going for different high scores or playing styles?

Last month my objective was to get a high overall score playing 4x4 boards, this month I'm going for the "good" boards only, to get a higher average on points and words per game, though my points per word average is slipping.
Another time I switched to 5x5, trying to rack up a few best or longest word records.

How many of you do this? It seems to me that unless you're a top player like MegaWord, it's next to impossible to get good scores in all categories. I haven't got a fixed playing style, so I switch around a bit, trying to improve in different ways.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:25 PM

jakartajane has received several accolades

Funny you should ask; just this month I completely changed my playing style. I have always played for a high average score in 5x5. Finally in March I got one of the "big" trophies - a third place finish (although only because MegaWord didn't play 5x5 in March and I was a bit luckier than dsh2 in my scores).

But the cost, for me, of this achievement was a diminution in the fun of playing. To maintain such a high average score, I had to be absolutely brutal about choosing which games to play, and aborting games that weren't going well.

So this month I decided to just play for fun! I'm playing all the games that come up (well, almost...the ones that have fewer than about 80 common words I'm skipping...the scores I get on those boards are too low for my pride to bear). And even if I'm having a terrible time with a board, I don't walk away from it.

My average score has dropped from 800+ to the 400+s and just a few days into April I have already played more games than I usually do in a full month.

I doubt I'll get anything more than an honorable mention level in any of the competition categories. But I'm enjoying the change of pace.

In a month or two I'll probably go back to using hyper-competitive strategies for a high average score, because I do kind of miss seeing my name in the top 10 average scores. Definitely not going to happen this month, though - I've already ensured that!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

I am playing every board that comes up in the 4X4 this month. I only used to play boards with about 40 or more ultra-rare words (between the 3 and 4 letter possibilities). There are a lot of really brutal boards and I am averaging under 300 points. Sometimes now, those two minutes seems like an eternity!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

I usually try for different goals every month. One month I might try to keep all my found words at a minumum of six letters long, another month I'll play every game that comes up and submit every word I can find.

Last month I tried to keep my average points per word as high as I could while still topping 10,000 points. That worked out well except towards the end I was spending far more time flipping through boards than I was actually playing boards.

This month I don't really have a specific goal in mind, I might try for long words one day, and the next I might try to submit only rare words. Whatever I feel up to as each day comes!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 PM

JJBeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

Like JakartaJane, when I focus on getting getting long words or high averages, I don't have as much fun. I play any board that comes up and do like the boards with 100 or less words on 5x5. I get a bigger thrill if I find a new word on such a board than I do getting a 16 letter word on a larger board. It's what makes this game so addictive. There is truly something for everyone!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Mini8658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally no, because I'm just focussed on the same goal each month (highest points, most words) but I feel that's because I haven't reached the highest, and once I reach the highest (whenever that this. Although wordtwist is strangely addicting to me, and fun, I think my interest in it comes in short bursts. So I might be really interested one month and then forget about it a year, and then come back to it randomly) the novelty of that goal would become boring and I would experiment and drabble out.

Sometimes I do log out and play games where I have the goal of:
-trying to get the most words/points on every single board (can be quite fun to have a go at the smaller ones ^-^)
-only play the words I know, and removal of any obscure words (that only exist in this dictionary and dont have any use or wouldn't be defined in any normal dictionaries), shortened words (like e.g. 'bot' is technically short for 'robot' and 'pro' is short for 'professional' etc), slightly naughty words and onomatopoeia like 'boo' or 'ahs' or stuff like that. Pro version: Try playing without using plurals. Each word must be individual.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM

^Did not get to finish typing my response as I had to go somewhere. But that last one can be quite fun, and the score I get is more satisfying than the ones I get from spam typing random words I don't know of (I made a thread on this once...) at last second.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

I'm just going to try to score 730 or higher on every board. If I don't get enough games to qualify, no big deal. That's my thing this month. Normally, I start to get a little panicky when it gets close to the end of the month and I don't have enough games to qualify. That's when I sacrifice scores just to get the requisite number of games. Not this month.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:56 AM

mlwalton13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking a break

I've decided to change objectives 180 degrees...I'm taking a break for a while. I might still do a board here and there, but I was obsessed last month with playing and making it into the top 10 for overall total high score (or whatever the correct title is). I spent way too much time on this game.

I do not say this to shame anyone, nor do I judge anyone. No one knows what the circumstances are of someone else's life and as such, in my opinion, no one has the right to judge anyone else. For me personally, I have used this game as an escape. We all need one from time to time. I use other things to escape as well. I do not believe that my lot is worse than anyone else's, just at the moment (especially as I am still unemployed **grrrrr**) I'm trying to refocus my attention on other things, hopefully things that will improve my employment situation (read: current financially challenged status) and bank account accordingly.

I paid for a membership so I will still be around...just not trying to break any records...

All the best to players competing for the top spots!

m~
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisul View Post
I'm just going to try to score 730 or higher on every board. If I don't get enough games to qualify, no big deal. That's my thing this month. Normally, I start to get a little panicky when it gets close to the end of the month and I don't have enough games to qualify. That's when I sacrifice scores just to get the requisite number of games. Not this month.
True. I usually stick to the minimum and especially since I don't have much time this month, I calculated I needed an average of 1-2 games a day to qualify for the 50 minimum games. However, I miscalculated and forgot about the 50 game limit (I thought it was 30 wtf) so stuck to a game a day...I realised it now but it's too late. I don't think I'll be qualifying this month...