Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

flops has received several accolades

I just wanted to be in the showband, and be practicing songs for the showband...I didn't want to do my Levels (the competency testing), I changed to the guitar because you can't sing and play the flute simultaneously, and because the guitar doesn't make Mud howl (unless we get feedback with the amp to close to the electric). I do now appreciate, and am seemingly constantly regaling, the benefits of practice (in any endeavour)...I may be turning into my mother (but then she is awesome, so maybe it's not so bad).
Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 AM

nothing to do with the origin of names (again), but my tiny, tidy, polite, kind and generous mother informed me of the following:

1. She is going to have to give up crosswords, because they make dinner late. Mother promises herself that she is going to find 3 more solutions, and then start preparing a meal. She gets the three, which turn into 6, then 10, and so on (seems by wordtwist procrastination technique is genetic), so then dinner is late.

I suggested to Mother that she might like to consider going to bed before 1.00am, getting out of bed before 10.30am, therefore she would have lunch before 3.00pm, and might have time to do a whole crossword and have dinner on time. She is only 81, so she baulked at the idea of going to bed early....

2. She doesn't like the tablet because it's too sensitive and she "bumps" things and then can't get back to where she was. She isn't keen on the laptop because it's too small to see. She prefers the PC in the study because its stable.

She pretty well described her husband of 55 years, and my Father: definitely not too sensitive, at 6ft 3in definitely big enough to see, and very, very, stable.

3. She is slowly going blonde, because she thinks it might be too obvious that she is dying her hair brunette...she is EIGHTY ONE...I personally think that it's been fairly obvious for quite some time...apparently the blonde won't show her "grey" (read snowy white) roots so much.

tiny, kind, etc....and very entertaining, is my mother.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Your mum sounds charmingly eccentric.
Speaking of seeing clearly, I noticed today tx_eye_guy was considerate to put those underscores in his username for us older folks to be able to see the spaces easily. As they say in Texas, "bless his haaaeerrt."

Last edited by lalatan : 03-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I like your mum already, flops.
And I think all music teachers are slightly deranged. My violin teacher made me practise a Bach fugue while kneeling and leaning back slightly, because she said that I didn't have the right kind of tension and I should feel like a taut bowstring. I felt more like that Ikea chair, PONG (probably not an accepted WordTwist word though), except I've never heard a chair play Bach.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

I may have mentioned it before: I use DrPlacebo because I started medical school but left halfway through to become a lawyer instead (so not really a doctor but could probably pose as one quite easily), and right about the time I made the decision to quit med school, there was a show in town called The Follies of Doctor Placebo.

Talk about music and derangement... I'm also a semi-professional violist, and earlier tonight my orchestra performed Richard Strauss's Don Quixote. I must say tilting at windmills is an underrated pastime.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Turbo is an unknown quantity at this point

My user name has nothing to do with my first or last name. One day at the University, I had a ton of work and I was in a really big hurry, so I just entered a room and said: OK people, Turbo is here! The nickname stuck -- and so did the ton of work...

I take this opportunity to say hi to everyone. I have been reading threads and playing here since 2008 but only posted once on the forum. Strangely, I feel like I almost know some of you who have been here a long time!

One thing you should know about me is that my first language is not English, but French. It might explain why I have a harder time finding long words (especially the -ings).

And well, who knows? I might be back on the forum before 2026.

Last edited by Turbo : 03-24-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 PM

I think I may have semi professionally died and gone to heaven! You people make my heart sing! I shall spend the evening recovering from Medea essays, and imagining in what world a music teacher making someone practice in that position is not commitable (apparantly commitable is "not a word"), wondering how old tx_eye_guy is, and whether he was really being considerate, and marvelling at how Quicks oat is still one of my favourite proper nouns (and it's not just because I am one of the few people that i know that can pronounce Quixote). luv youse awl...xxx. Oh, and I might play wordtwist, for just long enough to make dinner pathetically late...
Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 PM

ps. Hey Turbo!!! Y'all come back soon, y'hear!

and if you are going to go POANG, I'd be going for the rocking chair version, crazykate, but you might need to put it in a corner!
Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 PM

[url]https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billrobinsonmusic.c om%2Fmusic%2FMusic_Pages%2FWinds_Brass%2FTilting_a t_Windmills%2Fno_tilting.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F% 2Fwww.billrobinsonmusic.com%2Fmusic%2FMusic_Pages% 2FWinds_Brass%2FTilting_at_Windmills%2FTW.html&doc id=eAXEzf73NZt2pM&tbnid=8sneG2DHj7PCpM%3A&vet=10ah UKEwjc4KmVgYfaAhUEUbwKHTqWCpEQMwiVAShHMEc..i&w=543 &h=655&bih=1094&biw=1920&q=tilting%20at%20windmill s&ved=0ahUKEwjc4KmVgYfaAhUEUbwKHTqWCpEQMwiVAShHMEc &iact=mrc&uact=8[/url]
Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Pronouncing "Quixote" is a no-win. Whether you use the English, modern Spanish, or Old Castilian pronunciation, people get confused no matter what.

From what I gather, British tend to use an Anglicized pronunciation, Americans tend to use the modern Spanish pronunciation, and the French are closest to the way Cervantes would have pronounced it.