Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

My records are still weird, but just the "longest word" one. As I said, I started out yesterday morning with 1636. I didn't set any records yesterday (I didn't play much), and it had gone down to 1631 by the time I went to bed. This morning it was back up to 1635. (Maybe I have elves who play for me at night, but they can only find long words, not good ones?)
Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I finished playing at 1:30 a.m. and had 4,136 best and 4,387 longest word records. I checked my stats when I woke up at 6:00 this morning: 4,136 best and 4,408 longest!! Since then I've lost 3 and 4 respectively. So it seems I have the same elves working on long words overnight. Likely everyone else who gets records gets the same treatment or maybe everyone gets them.

So bizarre that 1 stat would be affected and seemingly not the other one. I've never heard of a database (I assume that's where stats are calculated and stored) that couldn't add correctly. Makes me wonder how accurate all the other stats on the website are.

Anyway, I'll track it 2 more days before I send an e-mail to admin about it. JohnakaMrP hasn't reported back to us that he got a response yet to his e-mail a few days ago.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-03-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I have to confess that during the site outage I got sidetracked and started playing another game, a world geography quiz. I'm not going to stop playing WordTwist, but I've slowed down a bit. This month I've also relaxed my goals a bit, after getting a good enough long word in 5x5 I'll play as many words as I can find in the remaining time. But maybe I'll go for a trophy again next month.
Ooh, I love geography. Would you mind telling me the name of it or the website address?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Ooh, I love geography. Would you mind telling me the name of it or the website address?
It's a phone app which for me shows up as "Welt Geographie" in the app store even though I play the English version of it because I'm only good at European geography facts in German. It might possibly show up as "world geography" to you. It's a free Atom Games app with a rating of 4.7. Lots of ads, but I ignore them, and the game is great because it starts slow but gets quite difficult after a while, and it's linked to wikipedia and includes things like disputed territories and it's constantly updated.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM

Cool. Thanks kate! Thanks for the synopsis too. I'll look up the game and give it a test drive sometime soon.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:21 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes it seems that the whole world has a smart phone and knows how to use it. I have a dumb phone, but it can send and receive texts. A few days ago, I sent my first text (and the only one, so far). It was one word: "Yes". I still don't know how to use the address book, have no saved phone numbers, and basically use the phone only to call my wife and let her know when I'll be home or where I am. And she uses her phone to call me and tell me when she'll be home or where she is. But sometimes, she'll call other people, too, and she does know how to use the various features. I can't imagine playing a game on my phone, though I can see how using a GPS app would be handy. On the other hand, I have unlimited minutes of calling anywhere in the US and Canada, and the "US" includes Puerto Rico, plus 150 texts per month for $20. I can't remember exactly, but I think the phone cost me under $20. So there are benefits to a dumb phone. I really can't imagine anything compelling about a smart phone, which is probably why I don't have one.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM

bwt, I'm where you are with the dumb phone, but you're one text ahead of me. I spend enough time in front of a computer, and I don't really want to take one everywhere.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
My records are still weird, but just the "longest word" one. As I said, I started out yesterday morning with 1636. I didn't set any records yesterday (I didn't play much), and it had gone down to 1631 by the time I went to bed. This morning it was back up to 1635. (Maybe I have elves who play for me at night, but they can only find long words, not good ones?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I finished playing at 1:30 a.m. and had 4,136 best and 4,387 longest word records. I checked my stats when I woke up at 6:00 this morning: 4,136 best and 4,408 longest!! Since then I've lost 3 and 4 respectively. So it seems I have the same elves working on long words overnight. Likely everyone else who gets records gets the same treatment or maybe everyone gets them.

So bizarre that 1 stat would be affected and seemingly not the other one. I've never heard of a database (I assume that's where stats are calculated and stored) that couldn't add correctly. Makes me wonder how accurate all the other stats on the website are.

Anyway, I'll track it 2 more days before I send an e-mail to admin about it. JohnakaMrP hasn't reported back to us that he got a response yet to his e-mail a few days ago.
I built a spreadsheet a day after I wrote this and tallied every record I set throughout the day until now. I also recorded WT totals for the end of the day and first thing in the morning. For me the elves take off every other day and are back at it the next day (so far). The day I posted the above quote, I set 63 records. I spot checked MyScores totals through the day. By mid-afternoon I had set 16 new long word records but in the totals it only increased by 2. No way I'd lose that many records that quickly. So the tide seems to come in and then it goes out. As you mentioned it only happens with the long words total. It really seems to float around through the day.

Edit: [For the last 5 days I lost 15 long word records, which seems about right to me. So maybe it all does balance out. On those days where I don't get the elf credit, I'm down 9-18 records on the day.] Disregard this edit as I realized it was totals for both best and longest words.
Have you done any further tracking, Spike?

Last edited by lalatan : 06-07-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:20 AM

Ok, I added 2 columns to track best and longest word records: actual records set during the day compared to records in MyScores totals at day's end. For the last 4 days of data, I lost 14 best word records and gained 2 longest word records. Since about 95% of the time I set both best/longest records on a board, I'd say the longest word records should show the same rate of attrition. That results in an overcredit of 16 or 4/day. Not as bad as I originally thought when I saw the elves add 21-30 long word records overnight. That freaked me out! As you know I take my stats seriously and don't want any tainted records or gifts from the WordTwist elves. But, as "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior." admin probably won't do anything about it. Nevertheless I'll tell them about it and see what happens.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-07-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM

I haven't been tracking elf credit closely, but it seems like I get some every night. (12 last night.) I've thought about staying up all night & trying to catch them in the act. I tend to get two records per new word, so it is strange that only the longest word record goes up & down.

Edit: Last night, no elves. I lost one record. (Longest word, of course.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 06-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.