Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 AM

JohnAkaMrP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Examples of discrepancies between total words and total points

Hi everyone,

One of the small things I enjoy about this game is noticing instances where I may have set a record for total words without coming especially close to setting the total point record, or vice versa. Often the differences aren't very big - just to make up a random example, perhaps the previous record was 90 words and 380 points, and I might do something like 91 words but only 375 points.

Other times, the differences are much larger, and those catch my attention. I've seen a hundred of those but have never posted to see if anyone else looks for the same type of discrepancy. Here is an actual example from this morning. As you can see, I eked out a new record versus Samwise on words without coming anywhere close to him on total points. + 1 on words but -67 on points. I wouldn't say that that's the biggest 'discrepancy' I've ever observed, but it's probably somewhere on a top ten or twenty list for me.

Does anyone else look for this in your scores? Or maybe you have some other oddball metric that you look at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example of differences.JPG (38.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:25 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Yes, I do notice things like that. And while I'm always glad to get a new record, I prefer setting a new points record while staying well below the most words record, because that's better for my points per word average stat.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I see differences like that, it's usually the other way around. I can remember getting fewer words and more than 100 points more. I don't recall many (if any) games where I've had more words and fewer points. I've even done it to myself, where I've passed my own previous high score with fewer words. It may just be a function of it being easier to set a high score than to set a highest words mark.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Another extreme example from this afternoon. Plus five on words but minus 56 on points! I scored a very normal (for me) 4.5 points per word but was trounced on total points by WriteSmith who was well above 5 points per word. In a game like this, if my primary goal was points, I really missed out by not seeing/playing words like touse, touses, rouse, rouses, rouser, rousers, trouse, trouses, trouser, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More point discrepancy.JPG (35.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAkaMrP View Post
Another extreme example from this afternoon. Plus five on words but minus 56 on points! I scored a very normal (for me) 4.5 points per word but was trounced on total points by WriteSmith who was well above 5 points per word. In a game like this, if my primary goal was points, I really missed out by not seeing/playing words like touse, touses, rouse, rouses, rouser, rousers, trouse, trouses, trouser, etc.
I think each of us has individual goals here. My personal goal these days is to learn how to find the highest scoring words; others want to find the most words or get the highest point scores. It's kind of fun to mix it up and play with one goal one month and a different goal the next. If you decide to try for higher point words, you'll find your vocabulary expanding daily, but your non-Boggle friends may look at your finds and tell you they aren't really words.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM

I've been keeping an unofficial record of such things, and have accumulated several games where I have passed the previous high for points by 39 and was short on the number of words by 6 (467/428 and 99/105 was one such). I was also short of the best points by 6 and short on the number of words by 30 (498/504 and 94/124). It really comes down to which words you find. As a side note, I just now played the exact same board consecutively, something I haven't had happen for years. The second time, I remembered enough to beat my previous score by more than 50 points, scoring 558 instead of just 504. Alas, I didn't remember the best word.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I just managed to set a new points record on a board while staying 12 words below the total words record.
The previous record holder had a high score of 417 points with 92 words, I managed to rack up 432 points with 80 words. I find results like that quite gratifying. Of course I'd like to get both records if I can, but if I have to pick one, I'd rather have the points.

Edit: a little later I played a board with 475 pts/ 111 words previous record. I found 109 words worth 524 points total.

Last edited by crazykate : 01-16-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:53 AM

It's interesting to read how we each approach the game. I myself don't prioritize longer words, and I don't believe that I've ever cracked the top 50 on average letters per word. Instead, I prioritize equally overall score and total number of words. Those obviously correlate somewhat with one another, and although I've noted some instances in this thread and others where I've achieved highest number of words without getting the point lead, there are others where I've managed the opposite. I think I end each month ~4.4 points per word, and that can lead me to get either one of my goals for a board without the other.

By the way, bwt, that's amazing to get the same board twice in a row and then best yourself by 54 points! I can't tell you how many times I've replayed a board (not consecutively) where I have the points or words mark, but then on the replay I've fallen way short of my previous mark.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:23 PM

YOUR STATS:
Total points: 577 New record!New record!
Total words: 84 (44 common,19 wide,3 rare,18 ultra rare)
Best word: QUIRTED (16 pts.) New record!New record!
Longest word: STRIDENT (8 letters)
PUZZLE STATS:

Played: 6 times
Average Score: 343.7 points
Average Words: 60.6 words
High Score: 454 points by FlChet
Most Words: 89 words by FlChet
Best Word: QUISTS (14 pts) by FlChet
Longest Word: BLINDERS (8 letters) by Arista

Plus 123 on points, with 5 fewer words. The board featured a Q and I got all the Q words. Apparently, the previous record holder didn't.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Shazam! You were knocking on the door of seven points per word while setting that new total point record. I do screen cap some of my personal milestones but haven't done anything beyond a vague mental accounting on point discrepancies as I've called them. However, I don't think that I've personally been involved in anything as extreme as +123/-5!