Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 AM

translatorBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Score reduced

I like playing the 5x5 for the highest average score per word.
I just found the word 'Psychoneuroimmunologies' which is 23 letters long.
When I was playing the board, it said that the score for the word was 44 points. However, when the board had ended and the list of words appeared, it said it was only worth 42 points.
By the usual formula for an ultra-rare word, ((word-length - 1) x 2) the score should have been 44, so I wonder what the issue was here.
Has anyone else noticed a similar thing happening?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I also see this score reduction for 40+ point words. (Just look at the monthly list of high-scoring words.) Typically, like you noticed, it's a loss of 2 points off the base score of 2 x (letters-1), although the special letters still seem to score pretty much normally. Of course they have a 45 point max. I felt cheated (or at least puzzled) the first time this happen to me.

I'm not sure if this kind of thing happens with long words not in the ultra-rare category. Then again, I'd think that "common" 23 letter words would be very rare.

By the way, congratulations on PSYCHONEUROIMMUNOLOGIES!

Last edited by Spike1007 : 12-12-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 AM

translatorBJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Spike.
I didn't realise there was a maximum score of 45, but thinking about it I've had a 24 letter word before now, and that ought to have scored 46, but my max ever score is 45.

Thanks for the congrats on the word. It would be more impressive if I knew what it meant!

Cheers
BJ
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 AM

I took my own advice & looked at longest words played & their scores. Scoring is more complicated than I thought. 24 letter words (with no special letters) look like they're only worth 42 points. I'd look further, but I'm just happy when I get anything worth 40+ points. (It does seem like they're cheating you though when the word score they report during play is higher than what they really give you in the end.)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I looked some more, and it looks like base scores for ultra-rare words just max out at 42. During play, they can be reported higher.

I was bitten by that today (or I just screwed myself over). I still can't figure out what I did wrong, but I played a board, getting two words, and although I'd misjudged the rareness of one, it looked like I'd still be able to raise my average. Instead, I lowered it when the final score came in. It took me way more time than I'll admit to, but I ran across the REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS board again, so I'm up for the day. I really need to leave Spike1005 alone for the rest of the month.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
I ran across the REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS board again, so I'm up for the day. I really need to leave Spike1005 alone for the rest of the month.
Spike, I don't think it's fair to the rest of us when you keep that REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS board on a leash for when you need it. Please let it go to give some of us a chance at it?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Spike, I don't think it's fair to the rest of us when you keep that REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS board on a leash for when you need it. Please let it go to give some of us a chance at it?
Hey, I can't help it if it seems to have followed me home. If I could just teach it to come on command, I could save a lot of clicking though.

By the way, there's a board where you have the highest-point word of PSYCHOTHERAPEUTICALLY. I've seen that at least as often this month.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

You're probably carrying bacon in your pocket. Lol just having some fun with you. So you have another one tied up? Please set that free too. Haha
Old 12-13-2017, 02:55 PM

OK, I think I'm done with them for the month. I'll give it a shot. I may still smell like bacon though.