Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Some words are truly surprising.
I think that's one of the things I like best about this game. We keep discovering new words. Of course we'll probably never have a chance to use most of them in conversation!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Today's not-really-a-word find is TECHNOSTRESSES. I stuck the two pieces together just for grins, as I couldn't figure out anything that seemed viable. 26 points and set a new board record!
I've seen the word used somewhere in the past and assumed it was stress caused by dealing with technology and its foibles. So I looked it up and that's what it is. I think it's a good, descriptive psychological term for the problem. I went through it myself this week.

I wanted to scan a paper document so I could attach a jpg of it to an e-mail for a medical claim. It's a task that usually takes less than a minute and I've done hundreds of times. This time it took 2 hours!! 2 weeks before I got 1 of those wonderful "this is going to take longer than usual" 45 minute Windows upgrades. A week later I had to do another 1, probably to correct the screwups in the first 1. I assumed they had messed up the Windows fax/scan app so I tried to print 1 page from a spreadsheet. No go. Windows told me I had to enter a PIN that came with my printer to connect it to the computer. I rummaged through records and finally found the manual: no PIN.

Then I started checking the printer and wireless connection etc. I looked up HP printer tech support and I had to have an HP account to get it. My e-mail address was already on record but I didn't know what the password was. I followed instructions and they were supposed to e-mail me a link to reset my password. Never came and their website was dreadfully slow. So I did a cold boot on the computer. Then I could print but still not scan. Couldn't find anything to fix it. All printer functions and connections seemed normal. So finally I rebooted the printer. Then the scan app worked. An hour later I got the e-mail from HP to reset my password. Lol I had major technostress. I had to drink a shot of Jim Beam afterward to calm my jangled nerves.

When I worked in telecom, they implemented SAP software. For a week we couldn't get anything done. Had to wait 50 minutes on hold to get info we could've brought up in a few seconds with the previous software. And you knew all your work was piling up more and more. The whole corporation had technostresses.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I'm sure that from their side, they see this as a case of MEGATECHNOWONDERFULNESS. To us users, it's pretty much a pain. (I'm also sure that we could all come up with a better (and higher-scoring) word than TECHNOSTRESS for that, although it may not be for all audiences.)

Last edited by Spike1005 : 12-09-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM

lol Spike. That's for sure.
In the Psychology Today article I read on technostress, it said that products we find useful and reliable give us the least stress. Ain't that the truth!!
Over time at Telus Corporation I came to know what to expect when they "rolled out" new software (it often felt like "rolled over" as in steamrolled). Absolute chaos for 1-5 days, then glitches and multiple phone calls to IT tech support for days, weeks or months thereafter.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think that's one of the things I like best about this game. We keep discovering new words. Of course we'll probably never have a chance to use most of them in conversation!
Me too. I enjoy the variety of quirkinesses in the words here. I see multiple new words every day I play. (I don't necessarily learn them though.)
I dunno about that mcdonna. When I visited Oregon I traveled the west coast both ways. Apparently the eastern part of the state is quite arid and I surmise that there could be a lot of fencelessnesses in certain areas, much like southeastern Alberta.
(btw my technostress is low today. Maybe I should make a technostress gauge for my wife like those wildfire hazard notices: low, medium, high and Look Out!! haha The poor girl has Windows on an old Apple computer at work so she can empathize.)

Last edited by lalatan : 12-09-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
In the Psychology Today article I read on technostress, it said that products we find useful and reliable give us the least stress. Ain't that the truth!!
Even when (or maybe especially when) products or applications are "useful and reliable", I always assume that they're up to something, like collecting our data. I'm not so much a technophobe as a technoskeptic.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 AM

I'm aware that many organizations can monitor my internet activities so fwiw I always set Google, Microsoft etc. privacy settings to as high as possible. At the same time I think, if anyone chose to monitor my life, the boredom would soon become unbearable and they'd move onto someone more interesting.
I'd heard rumors that the NSA could monitor and track all cellphone conversations. After watching the documentary "A Good American" on Netflix, I'm convinced they do indeed have the capability. A group of former NSA employees are interviewed. They developed data-gathering software to do just that and flag any security threats. Their problem was that they were too good (it worked well), did it too cheaply and were too ethical (they embedded privacy algorithms to protect ordinary citizens). So of course they had to go!! They were forced out of the NSA, their system was removed and they were prohibited from selling their software anywhere else. The contract was then awarded to a private contractor filled with former military people. They took much longer, the cost was much, much higher and it didn't work as well as their software. But the military-industrial complex was fed by it and the NSA got much more funding so that's what seems to be important to them. And they removed all the privacy from the program.
It was a very interesting show yet also tragic and there was the mention of math in it so maybe you should check it out.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-09-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I should watch that, although I'm paranoid enough. Like you, I figure that anyone watching everything I do would soon be bored, but it's the principle of the thing. (Would they discover all my Wordtwist secrets, or what?) Anyway, I'm not sure whether to be more afraid of the NSA (which supposedly is constrained by law) or Google & all the other private companies (who pretty much aren't).
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I dunno about that mcdonna. When I visited Oregon I traveled the west coast both ways. Apparently the eastern part of the state is quite arid and I surmise that there could be a lot of fencelessnesses in certain areas, much like southeastern Alberta.
I grew up in northeastern Oregon, where there are indeed many fencelessnesses. Here in the Willamette Valley there is lots of rural land but not the wide open prairies.

Quote:
(btw my technostress is low today. Maybe I should make a technostress gauge for my wife like those wildfire hazard notices: low, medium, high and Look Out!! haha The poor girl has Windows on an old Apple computer at work so she can empathize.)
Windows on an old Apple? That's not just stressful, that's one of those torturousnesses*! I have long believed that Microsoft software is designed primarily as job security for IT departments, not designed for low-stress usability.

*TORTUROUS doesn't seem to be a real word, BTW. In looking it up, I realized that I have confused TORTUOUS (twisty, indirect) with something involving torture. You see? Vocabulary improvement even when posting in the forum!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I grew up in northeastern Oregon, where there are indeed many fencelessnesses. Here in the Willamette Valley there is lots of rural land but not the wide open prairies.
Thanks for letting me know my hypothesis re: fencelessnesses was valid. I thought the Willamette Valley was beautiful from what I saw of it around Portland.
Quote:
Windows on an old Apple? That's not just stressful, that's one of those torturousnesses*! I have long believed that Microsoft software is designed primarily as job security for IT departments, not designed for low-stress usability.
I have always been amazed that Windows dominates the world's computer market given that it's such a crappy OS, especially early on. I experienced so many crashes and freezes at home and work until Windows 7, which worked fairly well for me. Then they came out with 8.1 and, like Vista, was such a disaster they offered the next upgrade free.
Quote:
*TORTUROUS doesn't seem to be a real word, BTW. In looking it up, I realized that I have confused TORTUOUS (twisty, indirect) with something involving torture. You see? Vocabulary improvement even when posting in the forum!
I selected your word as written, right clicked it and chose "search Google..." (I find that's a really handy way to get a quick definition for any word.) It's a real word and your spelling is right.
I've had my vocabulary updated a few times using Wordtwist. I wrote before that I don't learn many weird words but now find myself doing just that and even remembering some to play on boards.
Enjoy the games!

Last edited by lalatan : 12-12-2017 at 08:11 PM.