Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 AM

flops is an unknown quantity at this point

btw, I've lost my spectacles...again!!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Solution

Spike1007:
Quote:
I was going to suggest that one way to close the loophole is to not count "empty" games as games played
This seems to be the best solution.

Flops: The secret prize is a temporary pleasant feeling. That's what addicts crave.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
still playing for fun, and maybe to stave off dementia, and definitely to procrastinate. I don't mean to offend anyone for whom wordtwist is 42, but is there a secret prize (apart from staying sane and delaying humdrum tasks) that I don't know about?

I have an internal "yaaay" when a player who I admire, and have had entertaining moements with in the forums, wins an award, but like....you can't acutally melt those trophies down, can you? That is my long winded way of saying chill, relax, have fun everyone!

(and this coming from someone who wants to carry around a black texta to correct things like "potatoe's" when passing the greengrocers...). Peace out. xx
I like to have fun, procrastinate, AND win prizes. (I'll let you know about the dementia thing.) I'm working on trying to melt my trophies down (or maybe just trade them in for bitcoins).

Of course you're right, for the most part, but scoring invites competition (hopefully friendly competition), and that works best on a level playing field. Anyway, I don't take my trophies too seriously. I can't put them on my mantel or anything, so the only people who see them are those on this site, and even here, it's only the small subset who care about points/word that pay attention.

By the way, I'm with you on the "potatoe's" thing. It's like we've been invaded by apostrophes (or is that apostrophe's?).

Last edited by Spike1007 : 12-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:00 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

For all those commenting on how others are playing the game: The rules of the game do not forbid what you don't like. I would prefer that the game not count any board on which you do not find at least one word. I made that suggestion years ago, and the game still allows the player to count games on which no play has been made. I do not, myself, start games and then immediately submit them so as to come up to the 51 game requirement. If I play a board all the way to the end and can't find a word that would score enough points, that's when I get a board with zero words. I have also played a lot of games where I DID find a word and it wasn't enough points -- so I abandoned that game before the end. Therefore, I have played MORE games than my count would show and spent MORE time looking for high-scoring words than you would compute. I agree that it would be nice if there were only some kind of rule that would force players to submit some reasonable number of words in addition to the "games played" requirement, and I still think that boards played on which no words were found should not count at all, but I don't get to make up the rules. I can, like you, only suggest improvements. So far as "playing the game according to the way others are playing it", I have no idea how others are playing it and I think it would be a futile exercise to try to determine that; if it were even possible, ten minutes later a new player would play the game differently and cause another storm of messages. No, the only real way to get the game you want is to suggest that the rules be altered. I hope they are. A long time ago, I also suggested that the time limit for the games be dropped and replaced with a requirement that a valid word be submitted at least every ten seconds. That would also address your concerns and would make the game fairer for players who were not accomplished typists. Alas, that would also make the game very different and invalidate all previous records. I can understand why that suggestion wasn't implemented.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

bwt1213, points taken (no pun intended). Anyway, it sounds like we play similarly, so that I hit 51 games long before I hit my target number of words. I've wondered what I'd do if I fell far short of my target for some reason. If I wanted to stick to what I've said is fair, I'd have to take whatever words I could find at the last minute, pretty much tanking my score. (Actually, it would probably be a more gradual process, lowering my expectations as the time ran out & panic set in.) Then again, I could just go ahead & sit on my high score with fewer words. I guess I might find out which I'd do if or when that happens.