Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I played a stone board today that only had 124 available words: 1 common 8 ltr, 1 common 9 ltr and 1 ultra rare 9 ltr. I first found MOUNTAIN, then MOUNTAINOUS and finally MOUNTAINOUSNESS for 28 pts and 2 new records. A clean sweep like that seldom happens for me. Woohoo!

Last edited by lalatan : 09-08-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post

You're right Spike.
There are a couple more. Found them after I missed and then finally got DEMISEMIQUAVER once.

SEMIDEMIQUAVER: A demisemiquaver; a thirty-second note

SEMIDEMISEMIQUAVER: hemidemisemiquaver (a 64th note)

HEMIDEMISEMIQUAVER: A short note, equal to one fourth of a semiquaver, or the sixty-fourth part of a whole note

Enjoy!
TR

Woohoo, I found SEMIDEMISEMIQUAVERS for 40 pts and 2 new records today!
Thanks TR, wherever you are. I miss your posts.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Go you! I'm jealous. I feel like I ought to get these words because I'm a musician, but since English isn't my first language I didn't even know they existed before reading about them in this thread. We just call them "Zweiunddreißigstel" (1/32) or "Vierundsechzigstel" (1/64) in German, no fancy names like "hemidemisemiquaver" or similar.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did find SEMIDEMIQUAVER not long ago. (HEMI- wasn't there.) The point value was less than I expected. Anyway, congratulations!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:27 AM

Thanks Kate and Spike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Go you! I'm jealous. I feel like I ought to get these words because I'm a musician, but since English isn't my first language I didn't even know they existed before reading about them in this thread. We just call them "Zweiunddreißigstel" (1/32) or "Vierundsechzigstel" (1/64) in German, no fancy names like "hemidemisemiquaver" or similar.
When you wrote sometime ago that you lived in Austria I wondered if your native tongue was German or you were an expat from an English-speaking country. So now I know. In light of that, I have to say that your game play here and your English vocabulary skills are truly amazing! Way to go! And you're a musician too, a very talented lady.
My parents put me in accordion lessons when I was a kid so I learned to read music but 1/32 and 1/64 notes were called only that. So when I saw TR's post on their English names, it briefly discombobulated me (I like that word too. ). It looks like the German words would have the same effect. Haha What instrument(s) do you play?
PS: I could have the wrong perception but it seems that for German words you might need a 6x6 board to accommodate a lot of the words. I've seen some loooonnnngg German words.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments, lalatan! I think I have a large vocabulary because I've read a lot of wordy stories like the Sherlock Holmes stories or the works of Tolkien and Dickens. A lot of the authors whose works I enjoy like using long and uncommon words which I picked up while reading. That doesn't mean I'm sure of their exact definitions, much less the correct pronunciations. Just yesterday I used the word "ubiquitous" in a discussion, and after I'd finished writing the sentence, I realised that I wouldn't be able to use it in a spoken conversation because I had no idea how to pronounce it. I'm really happy that smartphones and online dictionaries have made it so easy to look up words "on the go", because otherwise I'd have to carry around a dictionary at all times.
When playing good old-fashioned Boggle with my mum (who's a translator), we kept a three-volume Webster's dictionary close by for looking up words we were unsure of.

As to your comments about long German words, I have to say that although we probably habe fewer really short words (1-3 letters) than the English language, and more words of medium length, but the really long words that you sometimes come across are basically cheating. In German, you can string a lot of nouns together to make a new word that hasn't existed before, yet every German speaker will understand its meaning. In English, you'd still keep the words separate to express the same thing.

I play the violin and the viola, by the way. Not so much at the moment, though, since I have two small kids and when I have a few minutes of free time I relish the peace and quiet (and play a few games of WordTwist. )
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, lalatan! I think I have a large vocabulary because I've read a lot of wordy stories like the Sherlock Holmes stories or the works of Tolkien and Dickens. A lot of the authors whose works I enjoy like using long and uncommon words which I picked up while reading. That doesn't mean I'm sure of their exact definitions, much less the correct pronunciations. Just yesterday I used the word "ubiquitous" in a discussion, and after I'd finished writing the sentence, I realised that I wouldn't be able to use it in a spoken conversation because I had no idea how to pronounce it.
You're welcome.

Last edited by lalatan : 09-25-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Quatchkopf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am dumb

I have played 2278 games. My scores range from just below average to average. I can sit there and look at a board with 30 plus 8 letter words and not see a damn one of them. Been playing for a couple years. Guess I am just dumb.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatchkopf View Post
I have played 2278 games. My scores range from just below average to average. I can sit there and look at a board with 30 plus 8 letter words and not see a damn one of them. Been playing for a couple years. Guess I am just dumb.
I'm sure you're not dumb. I didn't think I'd ever be good at finding long words before I started actively looking for syllables typically occurring in long words, like -ISMS, -IZATIONS, -NESSES, -OLOGIES etc. When looking for longer words, I also don't play any shorter words at all, because typing or swiping distracts me from looking. This month, I'm trying for long and high-scoring words only in the 5x5 boards, so I'll back out of any game if a word I've played is worth less than 20 points. In the 4x4 boards, this month I'm going for good boards and trying to get my total words and points average up, so 3 point words are fine as long as I find a lot of them. This means I'm finding fewer long words on the 4x4 boards though because they take too long to find.

As for favourite words... I wasn't the first to find it, but just now I was pretty happy to get POLYSYNAPTICALLY, a word with 3 Ys (worth 30 pts)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatchkopf View Post
Check out Spike's post in this thread
http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027
Quote:
As for favourite words... I wasn't the first to find it, but just now I was pretty happy to get POLYSYNAPTICALLY, a word with 3 Ys (worth 30 pts)
Nice find kate!!

Last edited by lalatan : 09-25-2017 at 09:31 AM.