Wordtwist Forums

Wordtwist Forums (http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chances (http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1046)

Razorflame 05-18-2017 09:28 PM

Chances

What are the chances of getting the same board twice in a row, I wonder? It just happened to me...

pdiddp 05-19-2017 09:34 AM

I'd say pretty rare! I've seen the same board come up the same day several times but only once in three years of playing have I had the same board come up twice in a row.

Of course if the order of the boards is truly randomized then a board that was just played should have the same chance as any other board of showing up. Enjoy it when it happens! I don't know how many times I've finished a game, seen what the long or best word was and thought "if I could only do it over!"

Brisul 05-19-2017 10:11 AM

I just played a game where I held the high score of 766 and I scored 766 again. I know, different subject, but it was still pretty cool. I've played the same game almost back to back before. There was a game between them.

lalatan 05-19-2017 11:45 AM

It happened to me this week, the same low-scoring game twice in a row. So it was of no benefit to me whatsoever. :rolleyes:

lalatan 05-19-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisul (Post 7030)
I just played a game where I held the high score of 766 and I scored 766 again. I know, different subject, but it was still pretty cool..

I've done that twice. Unlike you, I thought, "Why couldn't I have scored just 1 more point ?!" lol I'm too much of an overachiever.

(Great score and consistency btw)

Brisul 05-19-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalatan (Post 7032)
I've done that twice. Unlike you, I thought, "Why couldn't I have scored just 1 more point ?!" lol I'm too much of an overachiever.

(Great score and consistency btw)

Oh, normally I'm with you. But after I the final second clicked, I looked and thought "That's pretty cool." I've been struggling with getting high scores lately, so I was just happy overall.

crazykate 05-19-2017 06:09 PM

I'm not sure if I ever had the same board twice in a row, but occasionally I got the same board with only two or three boards in between. The last time it happened I was a bit frustrated though, because I got fewer points and words the second time around, although I did find a few words I'd missed the first time.

pdiddp 05-19-2017 09:00 PM

That's happened to me when I've come across a board that I'd just played recently, I seem to struggle to match my earlier score let alone better it. Same as with the occasional board I play where I've set one of the records, I often find it hard to find that long word or match that word count or whatever.

lalatan 05-20-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdiddp (Post 7035)
Same as with the occasional board I play where I've set one of the records, I often find it hard to find that long word or match that word count or whatever.

That has happened so often to me that I just move on to the next game unless it looks like I could easily improve on it. Occasionally I do better my previous record, which usually surprises me.

Razorflame 05-31-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdiddp (Post 7035)
That's happened to me when I've come across a board that I'd just played recently, I seem to struggle to match my earlier score let alone better it. Same as with the occasional board I play where I've set one of the records, I often find it hard to find that long word or match that word count or whatever.

This happens to me somewhat frequently as well.